The Western Union is no doubt, one of the best and largest money courier in the world. They offer different types of global payments, money courier and other related types of services. On this article, you’ll learn the step-by-step guide on how to receive money in the Western Union in the Philippines.
Some facts about the Western Union in the Philippines
- There are 500,000+ agent locations, 100,000 ATMs, and kiosks around the globe.
- The Western Union is available in 200 countries across the globe
- There are 8,400 Western Union agent location in the Philippines
- One of the secure and well-known payment center and money courier in the country
3 Options in receiving money in the Western Union in the Philippines
There are 3 options available to you if you want to receive money in the Western Union. It’s up to you which one is more convenient on your end and of course available in your area.
Here they are:
A. Cash pick up
This is the most common way of receiving money in the Western Union in the Philippines. Most of the Filipino who’s family working abroad or working in different cities choose cash to pick up instead of bank deposit or mobile wallet.
In this method, you need to pick up the cash in any of the 8, 400 Western Union branches or agent location in the Philippines. See the step-by-step guide on how to receive cash in the Western Union below.
Step-by-step guide on how to receive cash in the Western Union in the Philippines
- Make sure that the money is ready for pickup. Good thing you can check it online on this link.
- Once you confirmed that the money is ready for pickup, go to the nearest Western Union branch near you. Or you can find one on this link.
- Make sure you bring Western Union requirements like valid id with photo, your tracking number (MTCN), the name of the sender, city/country of the sender.
- When you’re at the Western Union store or agent location, fill-up and complete the Western Union Receive Money form. Double check all the information before submitting it especially the MTCN.
- You’ll be asked for your valid ID.
- You may need to register on that Western Union branch if that’s your first-time transaction
- You’ll be asked to convert it to pesos if your money is in other denomination
6. That’s it! Wait for the advice of the clerk and you’ll have your cash in hand. Make sure you double check the amount before leaving the premises.
B. Bank deposit
One of the easiest ways to receive money in the Western Union if you’re in the Philippines is via bank deposit. This means that the Western Union will automatically transfer the amount to the bank information provided by the sender.
Money is normally deposited into your receiver’s bank account in one or two business days. Make sure to get this information from your receiver before you send: Bank Name, Bank Code, Account Number.
Obviously, you don’t need to do anything if you want to receive money in your bank account. The Western Union will automatically deposit the amount to the bank details provided by your love ones.
Here are the information needed(by the sender) if they want to send money to someone’s bank account in the Philippines:
- Bank Name
- Bank Code
- Account Number
If you don’t have a bank account yet, you follow this article to open a BDO savings account or BPI savings account.
Note: Money is normally deposited in the account the next business day if you submit the transaction by 10:00 am CET.*
C. Mobile wallet
If your receiver has activated a mobile wallet with Globe GCASH or SMART Money, money can be deposited in minutes.
You’ll both get a text** confirmation when the money’s delivered.
It’s almost the same with bank deposit process. The only difference is, you can immediately check the amount to your GCASH or SMART Money wallet when your love ones sent the amount.
Western Union requirements when receiving money in the Philippines
You need the following when receiving cash or money in the Wester Union in the Philippines.
- Your Valid Photo ID (Examples are: Passport, driver license, SSS Id etc.)
- The MTCN or control number
- Complete name of the sender(city/country and your relation to the sender is also needed)
- The exact amount expected to receive
How to check status of your money in the Western Union
Check the status of your money in the Western Union online via this link.
*You need to have the correct MTCN to verify and monitor the status.
Western Union limit in the Philippines
Although there’s no exact amount provided, your loved ones can send up to $5,000 in the Philippines for a $0 transfer fee.
I hope this has been an informative article. If you have any questions, please write them in the comment section and I’ll try my best to help.
Until next time, cheers!
Source: Western Union
Donald Clevenger says
I have followed your blog for quite some time and have gotten a lot of useful tips and info from you, Thank you for that.
On your latest post about transferring funds using western union, i have a question…..i am in U.S. now but plan to expat to Ph. I have a western union account , meaning i have a debit card.
Can i access my funds that are direct deposited using my card in philippines.
Thanks for your help.
Yes Donald. There would be no issue I guess. Is that a special debit card of Western Union or a normal debit card from the banks? Not entirely sure if that is a debit card from US banks, if it’s just a Western Union card, it will work everywhere I guess. 🙂
Wow I’m glad that’s its now $5,000 USD. I’m using WU to received my earnings from AdSense because its more faster and easier than bank transfers I used to earn usd 100 before. And now earn 400 to 500 USD and I was informed long ago that the limit is $500 USD.
Jessa Paggao says
I’m using STUDENT ID in receiving a money I’m 20 years old. What is the maximum money that I received?